So who’s excited about the draft tomorrow? If you aren’t, you’re either not a hockey fan or you need to be slapped in the face with a metal glove.
The Rangers will be providing lots of online content during the draft which starts at 7PM (ET) tomorrow. And remember, we pick within the first hour!
Also, remember, if you have the free time and the will, come on down to the Rangers Draft Party at The Hill restaurant on 3rd Avenue between 29th and 30th Streets. I’ll be there, thus you should be there! Last year’s 1st Round draft pick, Chris Kreider will be there along with some more picks from last year’s draft.
In other news that is draft related, Glen Sather reiterated his belief on how the youngsters will be given a plethora of opportunity this coming off-season. He also said his emphasis will be on re-signing our RFA’s and UFA’s. So far, its been quite clear they have no interest in bringing back Olli Jokinen and Enver Lisin (like I stated in my Free Agent analysis). There has also been a lot of talk about trading away Michal Rozsival to free up more cap space, probably added to the Wade Redden-AHL-dump idea. I’m totally fine with this since I never really cared for his high payed-little play tempo. This is good for our young prospects as the Rangers have an abundance of young talent that can come up. I’d love to see how Evgeny Grachev, Bobby Sanguinetti, and/or Dale Weisse come up and show us what they got.
I will go over what seems to be our most concentrated prospects going into the draft. This will be the last post on our draft prospects before the draft tomorrow night. There seems to be four big possibilities as to who we’ll pick with our 10th overall pick. In no particular order:
North American Skaters
- Brett Connolly – RW – Shoots R – Canadian -ranked #3 – 18 yrs old – if it wasn’t for his injury prowess, he’d be mentioned in the same breathe as Tyler Seguin and Taylor Hall. (10 goals and 19 pts in 16 games last year, did 60 in 65 yr before in WHL)
- Nino Niederreiter – RW – Shoots L – Swiss – ranked #12 – 17 yrs old – came to America to play in the WHL and familiarize himself with NHL-type hockey (in 65GP, has 35 Goals and 60Pts in WHL)
- Jeff Skinner – C – Shoots L – Canadian – ranked #34 – 18 yrs old – has a nice shot, awareness, and knows where to be, even though he has a small size [5'10", 187] (64GP, 50 Goals and 90 Pts in OHL) – I have no idea why he’s ranked so low, you’ll probably agree when you see his videos.
- Vladimir Tarasenko – RW – Shoots L – Russian – ranked #2 – 18 yrs old – Always charging the net, great stick handling with dangling ability, typical talented Russian (42GP, 13 Goals and 24 Pts in KHL)
Who would you rather see the Rangers draft?
- Vladimir Tarasenko (48%, 11 Votes)
- Brett Connolly (26%, 6 Votes)
- Nino Niederreiter (22%, 5 Votes)
- Jeff Skinner (4%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 23
If you can’t check come out to the Rangers draft party, check out the draft on Versus at 7PM (ET) or check out Tim from Sabre Noise‘s live chat during the draft.