Sid Rosenberg of WFAN 660 AM in New York was the first member of radio media to interview newly signed center Brad Richards today. During the interview, Richards pointed out how he felt as if he was “in his prime” and in the best shape of his career, also noting that he’s eager to get back in to his summer routine following a crazy stretch. Richards also mentioned he felt he could help Gaborik in finding more offense from the Slovakian sniper and how he’s looking forward to “dominating out there” as he’s dome in the past. I know Rangers fans are hoping that last sentence becomes a reality.
Join me after the jump for more on the interview, why Brian Burkeis unhappy with Richards’ contract, and more!
- The Brad Richards interview in its entirety. [WFAN]
- You get the sense Richards won’t be perturbed by the pressures of playing in the New York. He came here because of his past relationship with coach Tortorella, whom he won a cup with, and how the young team has a chance to win soon. Fans have to understand he’s not the savior, just a missing piece. But, a piece necessary for the team to progress towards a Stanley Cup. Plus, how can you not like a guy who immediately states he hates the Islanders?
- Leafs GM Brian Burke gave candid answers as to why his team was unable to sign Richards and how he’ll never do what GM Glen Sather did. [SportingNews]
- Is Brian Burke right? Most likely. Almost every significant deal given out this offseason reeked of cap circumvention. However, it’s allowable under the current CBA so there’s nothing he can do until next offseason when the CBA expires. I can admire Burke for sticking to his values but, at the same time, his complaints sound more like a GM bitter he couldn’t get the guy he wanted. Sour grapes to you, Brian Burke.
- During his interview, Richards mentioned he would be wearing #19 next season, leaving Ruslan Fedotenko without a number. Until he spoke to Erik Christensen, who gave up his #26 freely. [SNYRangersBlog]
- I wonder if Christensen gave up his number so easily because he wanted another one, or is it because he sees the writing on the wall & may not be a Ranger next season?