In case you were still sleeping after an eventful Labor Day weekend, newly minted Ranger Brad Richards joined WFAN’s Boomer & Carton show this morning to talk about a variety of topics.
Join me after the jump to listen to the entire interview!
To listen to the entire interview click here
- Richards will not come in to New York and be a bust.
- Can’t wait to start the season and playing at MSG.
- Dallas never approached him to waive his NMC for a trade during last year’s trade deadline (thought this was interesting).
- Considers himself a quiet leader. Won’t scream at a guy to make a point. But respects the styles of how other leaders lead.
- Sees a lot of similarities in the Rangers that were present in Tampa Bay before their 2004 Stanley cup run. Lots of youth and good building towards the future.
All in all, a decent interview to listen to. I love Craig Carton and think he’s a great radio host, but if you take him out of the equation the interview could have been so much better. His questions, although done intentionally, were sarcastic and annoying. Boomer was genuinely trying to ask him questions and get some interesting quotes.
If he sees the Rangers in the same light as the ’04 Lightning team that won it all then Ranger fans have something to look forward to in the near future with Richards being a part of it.
What I did find interesting was how Richards tiptoed around the captaincy issue with the Rangers. I like how he feels that since he’s never played a game with New York and knows nothing of the community that he doesn’t deserve to have the “C” sewn on his sweater. To me, that shows he wants to be a leader on this team but not step on anyone (Ryan Callahan) who deserves being captain.
All of this reinforces one thing; hockey needs to start immediately.
Here is the list of all the writers of Blue Line Station on Twitter. Make sure to give us all a follow! :
- Adam Herman – @BlueLineStation
- James Wrabel – @TheWrage
- Alex Nunn – @aj_ranger