This game had trap written all over it. Coming off the Winter Classic win, it was almost inevitable they would come out flat. Tortorella addressed this issue before the game but it seemed that the “hangover” effect was in full force. Marcel Goc scored 4:16 into the period on a 2 on 1 to put the Panthers ahead. The Panthers dominated most of the period with Marty Biron holding the fort. An Anton Stralman shot took a nice re-direct off of Ed Jovonovski to tie the game up with less than 3 minutes in the period.
Then the Rangers found their groove. They were outshooting the Panthers by a lot and then Ryan Callahan deflection found the back of the net in the third period. On the powerplay Richards took a slapshot that went off Callahan’s leg before getting past Scott Clemmensen. Before the fans could even celebrate, 36 seconds later Mike Santorelli scored to tie the game. The game then went to overtime. Derek Stepan dropped a pass off to Marian Gaborik that he put everything he had into. He really could not get any more on his slap shot. Bill Clinton was in attendance and looked very pleased with the victory.
I have some more thoughts on the game so please join me after the jump.
- I’m very pleased with how the Rangers played. This wasn’t the best game they played by far, but considering how sluggish they were in the first to comeback and win this game is a great win.
- Marian Gaborik looked upset out there. He did not get a point in the three games leading up to this one and seems like all he wanted to do was score. Maybe he’s upset that Stamkos is the leading goal scorer now also.
- Brad Richards is an extremely gifted player. He’s not flashy, but he just makes that one pass that really opens the play up. That’s why he gets paid the big bucks.
- Marty Biron got another win and is really earning Tortorella’s trust. I think resting Hank will do wonders for his performance not just now but come playoff time. It’s really nice having a backup you can rely on.
- Dubinsky didn’t register a point but was literally all over the ice. I think his game is back. He’s winning more and more one on one battles and is driving to the net hard and creating chances. What more can you ask?
- Bill Clinton a Rangers fan? Maybe he’s good luck for the team.
- This was an extremely strong game from Michael Del Zotto. He was really clogging up the lanes and getting the puck out. The only person that might complain about his game tonight is Scotty Hockey.
- I’m pretty sure the Rangers haven’t lost a game when they outshot the opponent. Add this game to that statistic.