There’s nothing like Free Agency Day and Glen Sather with a checkbook to ruin a nice hiatus. After taking a few days off after the NHL Draft, I’m back and full of annoyance with the New York Rangers and their bad decisions.
- Brandon Prust over valued himself and wound up on a team that will give him the money but won’t give him the Stanley Cup any time soon. The money is nice, but it is such a bummer to see him not looking at the bigger picture of winning. The Montreal Canadiens are a historic team, not a current one with a continued chance at winning the Cup, they’re too busy worrying about their Francophone heritage to think about winning.
- Marty Biron is returning to the New York Rangers for another two seasons. His cap hit is a fair $1.3 a year and doesn’t even begin to cover his entertainment value.
- Stu Bickel has returned to be part of the 3rd defensive pairing slash starting centerman during Rangers/New Jersey Devils games. At $750,000 a season, the Rangers retain Bickel and his fists for another two seasons. I cannot express the joy I have because of this. He bring the fire that Prust was bringing, at a fraction of the price.
- Someone needs to point Sather in the direction of this blog and show him my post on how the New York Rangers do not need Arron Asham. He can’t spell his first name correctly, it’s double a’s not double r’s. He’s redundant with Bickel still on the team. Asham is out of control, something the Rangers don’t need. They gave him a pay increase, from $750,000 to $1 mil, FOR TWO SEASONS. Bad Rangers, there was no reason to sign this neanderthal.
- Micheal Haley has 43 NHL games in experience. Over the course of 3 seasons. Most recently, he played only 14 games for the New York Islanders with most of his season with the Bridgeport Sound. So basically the Rangers made a deal to fill out The Whale a little bit more. And once again have signed a redundant player with Bickel around.
Where is the thought process in this Sather? Sure, getting Bickel and Biron to stick around was a brilliant move, two great players that help the organization, but Asham and Haley? I have nothing against Haley, but there’s no place for him on the team and well Asham gets zero support from me.
The first day of Free Agency has been a terrible one, and really the only way the Rangers could mess up more is signing Rick Nash. Honestly, I know this is just the beginning, but what happened to their vow to correct the scoring problem? No one acquired today will help the New York Rangers in that respect, all they’ve done is rebuild their goon squad.
Can someone please take the checkbook away from Sather before we watch all the hard work from last season get signed away? Hopefully the rest of the summer will be a rebound from today. Or else I’ll be spending even more time rooting for the front of the sweater than I already do.