Ok it’d be pretty bad. Bad for the league in general, but this is the Rangers chance to win now. They have all the pieces in place. Sure they might need some tweaking as the season goes on but that is what the trade deadline is for. To make this short and sweet I’ll put in bullet point form why this would be terrible for the Rangers.
- One year off Henrik’s prime if a season is lost. This would be awful. While Henrik isn’t old yet he isn’t some young kid either. I don’t see the team winning a cup without Henrik. Just inconceivable.
- Having the “whole band together”. At the moment the Rangers have a lot of RFA’s including Del Zotto, Hagelin, Kreider, McDonagh, Sauer, Staal, and Stepan (It’s funny how I thought of all those names in alphabetical order). Anyway, it won’t be too long before all those guys won’t be as cost effective and their salaries will be too high. Right now the Rangers have all of them, but in a couple seasons they’re all going to need raises and trades might happen because the Rangers can’t keep them all.
- The Rangers made it deep in the playoffs last year, and are out for blood. It’s really been no secret this offseason that the players remaining from last year want to get another crack at the cup. They can still taste the defeat from back in May. I fear with a lockout the players might lose focus on the ultimate prize. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s just my opinion.
- Shiny toy syndrom: I really want to see Rick Nash play in a Rangers jersey, and after that saga that ensued from the month before the trade deadline till the trade happened I’m dying to see him play.
- Gaborik, Nash, and Richards losing a year off their primes. They’re not getting any younger either.
- A year off the RFA’s contract. All those RFA’s I mentioned up top? Yeah, all those guys get a year removed on their contract. Same goes for everyone else too but this is especially bad for our kids with RFA contracts. One less year of everyone being cost controlled.
Anyway, I’m sure there are many other reasons why this is terrible pertaining to the Rangers specifically, but those are some examples I thought of.
Be sure to follow me on twitter @Matt_J1.