The Rangers won their first game of the season 4-3 in overtime against the Bruins.
First off, let me just say from a neutral point of view that was a fun game to watch. The game had everything you could want from a hockey game.
Some thoughts below:
- Marian Gaborik is back. He made his return to the scoresheet with a beautiful hat trick. His first goal was filthy, and his game winner for the hat trick was even better. What hand eye coordination and concentration on the third goal. You just can’t teach that.
- Just when you think Rick Nash can’t play any better he turns in an unbelievable performance. Just wait till the bounces start going for him, he’ll be scoring in bunches. Also, there’s no way he gave his all every night last year and only ended up with 59 points. It’s just not possible. He also registered 6 shots on the game.
- Henrik Lundqvist isn’t his impermeable self yet. He gave up a weak goal to Nathan Horton and it just seemed his timing was off. I think it’ll take a few games for him to get into midseason form.
- Taylor Pyatt has two goals on the year. I thought he’s played well so far. He’s a perfect mold for Tortorella hockey.
- You don’t like giving an in conference team a point in a shortened season like this, but I’ll take it.
- Speaking of Pyatt, how funny was it when Pierre mentioned that Mike Milbury drafted Taylor Pyatt 8th overall for the Islanders? I had a good long chuckle.
- Steve Eminger looked decent filling in for Stu Bickel on defense. The Rangers defense as a whole still leaves something to be desired though.
- I can’t even talk about the Rangers power play without wanting to jump off a bridge so I won’t even bother.
Rangers take on the Flyers tomorrow, who will be without Danny Briere, Scott Hartnell, and Brayden Schenn. Also a detriment to their lineup is either Michael Leighton or Ilya Bryzgalov will be in goal.
More on that tomorrow in my pre-game article.
Have a look at these filthy goals though by Gaborik before you go.