The Rangers played maybe their most complete game of the season last night and were rewarded with a handsome 4-1 win. Some quick hits and thoughts on the game:
- This was my first game in the Garden this season. While I like some of the changes they made, I think the they messed up the acoustics. It just doesn’t seem as loud as before. Don’t know if there’s anything they can do to fix that.
- JT Miller looked like an absolute tank on skates last night. His goals aside, he was physical and knew what he was doing at all times. I love his game. He has so much enthusiasm and confidence and I think the rest of the team can feed off that. He reminds me of when Ryan Callahan and Brandon Dubinsky were first called up for the Rangers.
- Henrik Lundqvist didn’t get the shutout but I think he had a great game last night. The goal Tavares scored on him was pretty unstoppable through that screen by Anton Stralman. Not even bad coverage by the Rangers, it’s just hockey and that happens sometimes.
- You know who probably isn’t a JT Miller fan? Brian Boyle. If the kid can keep playing like this it will be very hard for Boyle to get into the lineup. I wouldn’t jump ship right now and say the Rangers should trade Boyle, but with Darroll Powe filling in a checking line role, and JT Miller coming in, Brian Boyle may be surplus to requirements.
- Anton Stralman has to miss Dan Girardi. Stralman played a hard 26 minutes last night.
- Welcome back Ryan Callahan! The shoulder looked good yesterday.
- Poor John Gianone getting hit in the face with a puck. The dude’s a warrior though.
- I think Ryan McDonagh didn’t see JT Miller when he fired into the empty net. From where I was sitting I saw Miller open, and I was yelling for McDonagh get him the puck. Oh well.
Gotta start a win streak from here. Rangers take on the Lightning on sunday night. Good luck with the snowstorm if your in New York or the tri-state area.
Be sure to follow me on twitter @Bluelinestation