The Rangers beat the Lightning 5-1 at MSG. Some thoughts and reactions below:
- At the start of the game you just thought it was going to be a shootout, with goals coming from both ends of the ice. Not the case as the Rangers won with a pretty lopsided score.
- Glad to see the Rangers completely shut down Stamkos and the boys in the third period. After a very shaky first period the Rangers played their best period of the season in the third period.
- Great to see the “Atlantic Division Prostitute” Arron Asham get his first goal as a Ranger. I didn’t even know he had that shot in his repertoire.
- You shoot the puck and you score goals. Carl Hagelin took six shots tonight, scored twice ,and also had an assist. He had some great opportunities and really thought he was going to get the hat trick. Great all around game from Hagelin.
- Rick Nash with another good game as a Ranger. Had an assist tonight with five shots and a garbage time goal. Hopefully the goal lifts his confidence a bit. It was a pretty good wrister from the top of the circle that beat Lindback short side as he was moving.
- Ryan Callahan was immense. He did everything you could ask for defensively, and he scored a great goal. Really great to have him back in the lineup.
- Darroll Powe had a very solid game. Did everything you expect out of a defensive minded forward. Anyone miss Mike Rupp?
- That one line change by the Rangers was literally the funniest thing I’ve ever seen.
Doesn’t get any worse than that. They all thought the puck was a live grenade.
- Henrik Lundqvist looked like his old self tonight and had probably his best game of the season.
- JT Miller’s play away from the puck looked very good tonight. That is what will keep him at the NHL level and will prevent him from being sent down.
- Speaking of JT Miller, Brian Boyle has to be a sad panda. Rangers get another solid win tonight without him in the lineup. They keep playing like this, it’s only a matter of time until he’s expendable.
- Rangers take on the Bruins tuesday and that is a big game. They need to continue this good run of form and they need to beat a team that’s playing better than they are. This is a good measuring stick game for sure.
I now leave you with this clip from the movie Major League: