Rangers lost it late tonight 3-2 at MSG against the Senators. Some thoughts below:
- This was the Rangers 3rd game in 4 nights and it showed in the third period tonight. They started out the period strong, but they didn’t have the legs to compete.
- Also not helping is Marc Staal’s absence. Get well soon Marc, we need you.
- It was a good return for Brad Richards. He had six shots on goal, as well as a goal. He was terrible on face offs (8-14 from the dot) but he looked much better tonight.
- Another 15 minute game for Steve Eminger. He was OK by all means, but we really need Staal back. Roman Hamrlik only played 7 minutes and looked really out of shape. Conditioning is definitely something he needs.
- I don’t understand how Brian Boyle can be scratched in favor of Stu Bickel. That really requires a good explanation.
- Michael Haley played limited minutes but he made himself extremely noticeable. He took a charging penalty but traded off penalty minutes with Chris Phillips. That’s a tradeoff I take every day of the week.
- The Rangers really didn’t have any great offensive chances. Stepan had the best chance of the game in the third period but shanked the shot. Lehner made the saves when he had to but was never really challenged.
- Henrik Lundqvist on the other hand really wants that third Senators goal back. He made some good saves this game, but that was poor rebound control on a shot he saw all the way through. Easy goal for Jakob Silfverberg.
- Rangers are back at the Garden on Sunday and need to get back on track against the Capitals. They have a game or two in hand on some teams and that won’t mean anything if they don’t win. It’s crunch time now with games coming in quick succession and losing can’t become a habit.
Be sure to follow me on twitter @Bluelinestation