The Rangers are on a bit of a roll right now collecting their 5th win in 6 contests. The Rangers today played a pretty weak Washington team and scored four straight goals to win 4-1. I have some thoughts and notes below.
- The Rangers started out pretty crappy to begin the game. They didn’t have the puck and when they did have it a Washington Capital immediately came and took it away. They went down a goal, and then immediately flipped the script. That was good to see.
- Nifty goal from Derek Stepan. You look kind of foolish when the bank shot doesn’t go in, but when it does you look like a genius.
- Remember that 29th ranked PP in the league? The Rangers are moving up a bit and are now ranked 22nd. Over the past few games they’ve consistently gotten the PP goals, and they’ll need a good PP come playoff time.
- The 3rd Rangers goal was originally given to Rick Nash, but after the game this was changed to Ryan Callahan. The captain was immense this game and it’s nice to see him get some reward by getting on the scoresheet.
- The 3rd pair of Steve Eminger and Matt Gilroy is not NHL caliber, even for a 3rd pair. The Capitals lack of forward depth though helped shield them away from any tough competition. Roman Hamrlik needs to get conditioned ASAP, and Marc Staal hopefully can come back soon as well. The Rangers will need those guys against teams like the Bruins and Penguins, and even good skating teams like Ottawa and Montreal.
- Rangers are slowly climbing the standings. Wins against the bottom teams of the division will start increasing the gap. God knows us Rangers fans don’t like waiting till the last game of the season.
- Rangers have Buffalo on Tuesday night. The Sabres play the Flyers tonight. I for one am hoping for a real physical battle.
Be sure to follow me on twitter @Bluelinestation