I’ll make the game recap short and sweet. There isn’t too much to say anyway.
- Other than that boneheaded play by Dan Girardi, the Rangers played solid defense the whole night. There was a 20 minute period when the Leafs didn’t even get a shot on goal.
- Speaking of Girardi, he played 28 minutes last night. McDonagh and Del Zotto also played over 25 minutes. My question is why? John Moore and Steve Eminger can easily play 12-14 minutes a night. Part of the problem last year in the playoffs was Torts rode his horses way too hard. Looks like he hasn’t changed anything in that regard so far.
- Nice move by Zuccarello in the shootout. Since the entire league figured out his other move, it was nice to see him change it up and score.
- Phil Kessel and James Van Riemsdyk are becoming Rangers killers. It’s a bit sad too, since JVR grew up a Rangers fan.
- Nice to see Carl Hagelin break his scoring duck. He’s been working very hard the entire season and should be rewarded more often.
- Even though the defense played well for long stretches of the game, Lundqvist still had to make some big saves. Really nothing you wouldn’t expect of him though.
- Big loss by New Jersey last night. Those two games against them remaining will be huge, but the Rangers are slowly moving into a clinched playoff spot.
Be sure to follow me on twitter @Bluelinestation
Tags: New York Rangers