It’s a really good thing Winnipeg lost tonight or else this recap would be even uglier than it already is. The Rangers dropped a big game in standings tonight. The effort was there, but the goals weren’t. Sort of a common theme of the season. I know they’ve been playing better of late, but this was the wrong game to lose. They had to find a way to grind out this win and just get in the playoffs. Their playoff hopes aren’t up in the air, but getting a good seed in the conference may be out of their control now.
- Hello Taylor Pyatt. Good to have you back contributing something to the team. Nice job driving the net, something the rest of the team hasn’t done much of the entire season.
- Really awesome move by John Moore initially driving the net and using his speed. He’s beginning to grow on me and I love what he brings to the table.
- Oh Brad Richards. Just when everyone’s beginning to love you again you take a stupid unneccesary penalty. When this penalty happened by the way I knew the game was over. The typical script for the Rangers losing a hockey game is to give up a fluke goal and then let the other team score on the power play.
- Rangers dominated much of the game but couldn’t find the big openings on the Panthers. For the most part Florida were running around the ice, but the Rangers couldn’t get any quality attempts. These are the type of games where shooting the puck from anywhere doesn’t work. You have to pick your shots and make sure they’re high percentage shots.
- Jacob Markstrom like most Swedish goalies probably grew up idolizing Lundqvist. Now he’s 20 against him. Just great.
- Mats Zuccarello needs to be re-signed for at least next season. He’s making things happen out there.
- Here’s the part that really irked me about the game. Rangers have 6 men on the ice and the Panthers have 4 men on the ice. How in the world does a Florida Panther get control of the puck for a solid 4 seconds in his defensive zone, control the puck, and then proceed to throw it down the ice into the empty net? I’m sorry but that cannot be allowed to happen. Disgusting watching that whole play develop.
Rangers play Carolina on Thursday and Winnipeg plays Montreal that same day as well. That is Winnipeg’s final game of the year. Montreal still has a division title to play for so hopefully they go into Winnipeg wanting a full two points. The Rangers of course still have no excuse to leave two points on the table in Carolina. Second team in a row the Rangers will be playing who have nothing to play for. Let’s get this done and move up a bit in the standings.
Be sure to follow me on twitter @Bluelinestation