Tonight the Rangers were down a goal with three minutes to go in the most important game of the season. If they were to lose the most nightmare scenario would happen: a must win game against a nothing to play for New Jersey Devils team to make the playoffs. I would have dreaded that game so much if it meant something. Lucky for us fans it doesn’t have too much value any more.
It will mean something in the standings for sure, but the Rangers playoff lives won’t hinge on it.
- Mats Zuccarello: Get this guy a contract for next season. He’s been sort of overlooked as guys like John Moore and Derick Brassard have taken the spotlight, but he’s been arguably just as important.
- This was not Henrik Lundqvist’s best outing by a long shot. There’s definitely a couple goals he wishes he could have back from tonight.
- Poor Matt Gilroy. He comes back into the lineup for the first time in forever and has an awful game out of position. While he did help spark the Canes’ comeback, I do have some sympathy for him.
- Lost in the franzy was Ryane Clowe’s injury. Hopefully he’s not too injured from whatever he’s suffering from. Clowe didn’t return to the game tonight after taking an elbow.
- If Clowe is out for a period of time hopefully Derek Dorsett can get back into the fold and make his Rangers debut in the playoffs. Kris Newbury was also called up after game.
- Always good to see Ryan Callahan get an OT goal in general but this was different. This goal has so much meaning and is quite possibly the most important goal he’s ever scored for the Rangers.
Not much else to say on the game. They had control, they lost control, but in the end they got it done. Everyone’s been doubting their urgency the last few games. I knew they had it all along and didn’t really doubt them. They weren’t playing like they didn’t care even. That goes for when they were playing Florida also.
By the way, it must have felt good waking up this morning knowing they’re in the playoffs.
Be sure to follow me on twitter @Bluelinestation
Tags: New York Rangers