The Rangers lost game 1 of the series tonight by the score of 3-1. All in all it wasn’t a terrible game by the Rangers, and I think it could have gone either way for the most part. Let’s just hit on some points:
- The Rangers were very shaky in the first ten minutes or so, but once the jitters wore off they looked better than the Capitals for the most part. Their power plays were atrocious, but what else is new.
- That being said they also gave away too many power plays. Sure it was kinda a flukey goal off the end boards that ended up going in via Ovechkin, but they still can’t give the Caps that many power plays because they will score.
- This was Rick Nash’s “real” playoff debut and he did just about everything that was expected of him except score. He keeps getting 8 shots a game though and he’ll start scoring in bunches.
- Oh Henrik. You kept us in the game during the first period but pretty much gave the game away in the second. The goal from Chimera was inexcusable and he probably should have stopped the Johansson one as well. Henrik probably wants those two goals back.
- Is their anything more annoying than the Capitals goal horn? I tweeted this during the game, but the organ music they play in the Verizon Center belongs at a Bar Mitzvah.
- Here are my thoughts on the no goal. Yes we couldn’t see the puck. However, the puck ended up in Holtby’s glove by the end of the sequence. So at some point the puck had to have gone in his glove. His glove for a solid 3-4 seconds was over the goal line. If the glove was over the line, so was the puck. Am I surprised the goal wasn’t given? No. But it was a goal.
- There was quite a bit of hitting going on this game and it would have been nice to have Clowe or Boyle if not both.
- Marc Staal said the other day that he wouldn’t play unless he’s 100% he’ll be a positive factor. Well if he’s able to play he should play. Even a Staal at 50% is better on some nights than Eminger or Stralman at the moment. I don’t think Staal should be rushed back, I just think there should be a sense of urgency from Staal to get back in.
- I mentioned Clowe and Boyle up top, but Derrick Dorsett would have been perfect for tonight also.
If this is all the Capitals can throw at the Rangers then the Rangers are very much still in it. Winning the next game is very important though. Rangers win that one and they take the upper hand this series.
Be sure to follow me on twitter @Bluelinestation
Tags: New York Rangers