- Meanwhile as the dust settles after finding out that the Rangers resigned Mats Zuccarello, our buddy at the NY Post Larry Brooksreports that the injuries to Callahan and Hagelin were the only reasons Zuccarello was even given a qualifying offer, which to many is no surprise. But to say that was the ONLY reason is far of a stretch. Zuccarello is another playmaker that the Rangers need. He’s more of a true playmaker that the Rangers drastically need.He has very good vision on the ice, can make the second pass to set up a goal, and does have decent enough hands where he can dangle and get a play made. Now while the Rangers also needed an upgrade in the size department, don’t count Zuccarello out, he can handle things himself and has shown that in the past season alone. Zuccarello has improved drastically from the previous season, and I can see him continuing his growth as a player. We also found out that he lessened his demands (length of contract, salary) so a deal could get done before arbitration, and that he hopes a longer deal can be accomplished at the end of the season.
- Now, if everyone was expecting Ziggy Palffy playing for Slovakia in the Olympics, unfortunately it isn’t going to happen. It was announced late last night, early this morning that Palffy has retired from the game. Palffy most notably played for the awful Islander teams in the mid 90s, but also spent time with the Kings and Pittsburgh before returning to Slovakia in 2007, and finished out his career there. Palffy was always a dangerous player for the Islanders, and during his NHL career (684 games) had a total of 713 points (329G, 384A). Palffys best season saw him gain 90 points (48G, 42A) in 80 games during the 1996-97 season for the Islanders.
- Joe Palveski signs a 5 year $30 extension to stay with the San Jose Sharks. This is a good signing, as Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau and Dan Boyle are entering their final years of their deal, and could be a sign that the guard is changing in San Jose. Do I see any of the three pending FA resigning with the Sharks? Possibly Marleau, but either way their is a change coming in San Jose, and honestly it could be a good thing for this team to finally make it and be a serious contender in the west.
Also, in the Fansided Network..
- Blues are going to help Vladimir Tarasenko from future Injures (Bleedin’ Blue)
- Seth Jones to be featured in NHL 14 (Predlines)
- Top 5 Goals from Blackhawks Regular season (Blackhawk Up!)
- A ‘Quick’ Reminder about how will start in goal for Team USA (Rink Royalty) - Craig Anderson?
Meanwhile on Twitter…
What We Know: Metropolitan Division http://t.co/WJqm5diuWU
— PuckSage (@pucksage) July 31, 2013
— Kevin McGran (@kevin_mcgran) July 31, 2013
I picked the best jerseys for every team. Ever. All of them. Happy offseason. http://t.co/YpIvRy8wxp
— Sean Gentille (@seangentille) July 30, 2013