As we get ready for the Rangers/Islanders/Devils press conference at 11AM today to announce the Coors Light Stadium Series at Yankee Stadium during Super Bowl week, it is slowly starting to feel like hockey is coming back, and is right around the corner. Will we see the jerseys the teams will wear today? Will we hear the team trash talk each other to get us hyped for the game? We’ll find out at 11AM when Gary Bettman takes the podium to discuss.
We also introduced Eddie Giacomin as the 7th greatest Ranger chosen by you the fans, and we will have number 6 up later in the day.
Some NHL News…
The Rangers made it official yesterday, announcing the signing of Brandon Mashinter to a one year two way deal at $605,000. His AHL salary will be $75,000. Mashinter was a Twitter fan favorite as he’s known to interact with fans, and has won many peoples hearts with his charm and good looks (mine especially), he was more of a force in the AHL for the Whale where he had 10G and 9A. His 4 games for the Rangers, he didn’t register a point and was a -2. But Tortarella liked what he saw when he played. I only see Mashinter playing if there are injuries to the team that derail them at any point of the season. But with the depth the Rangers have, and the skilled players in front of Mashinter, I see that not really happening, unless they need someone to throw their body around and hit.
TSN this week is looking at the Wayne Gretzky trade to LA as this year is the 25th anniversary of the trade that shook a whole franchise. Today’s featured article is about the key piece from the Kings that the Oilers acquired for Wayne, Jimmy Carson. Some really good articles, video on their site remembering this trade, so check it out.
Around the Metropolitan Divison…
- The owners of the Philadelphia 76ers are interested in buying the Devils (Pucks and Pitchforks)
- A very serious, yet detailed look at Blue Jackets top prospect, Ryan Murray (Union and Blue)
- The third part in a five part series looking at what Flyer fans should do. (Broad Street Buzz) Crying comes to mind..
- Today’s Hurricanes news (Cardiac Cane)
- Kris Letang is in for a career year if healthy (Pens Labyrinth)
- Eyes on Isles continues their offseason Q&A with new Eastern Conference Members the Red Wings (Eyes on Isles
— RangersCatfish (@WorldsBestEgg) August 8, 2013
Heading to Yankee Stadium for #NYR press conference shortly, but have bigger better baseball related news….
— Jim Cerny (@JimCerny) August 8, 2013