After playing some rather weak teams in the past few days, the New York Rangers (6-7-0) have a huge challenge awaiting them in New York tonight; the Anaheim Ducks (11-3-1).
Yep, the same Ducks that defeated the Rangers earlier this season in a 6-0 rout out in California. However, things have changed since that dreadful night. Captain Ryan Callahan is set to return tonight, Carl Hagelin has made an immediate impact with his return and Derek Stepan and Chris Kreider have found momentum.
However, the Ducks have been one of the best teams so far out west. They already have 11 wins on the season and they have only lost three times in regulation, but there may be some luck tonight for New York. Anaheim will be starting their third-string goaltender tonight due to the injury to Viktor Fasth and legend Teemu Selanne is also on injured reserve.
Teemu Selanne- IR (Oral surgery)
Saku Koivu- IR (Concussion)
Jakob Silfverberg- IR (Broken right hand)
Viktor Fasth-IR (Lower-body injury)
Matt Beleskey-IR (Upper-body injury)
Andrew O’Brien- IR (Undisclosed)
Sheldon Souray- IR (Torn right wrist ligament)
Dom Moore- Day-to-day (Strained oblique muscle)
Rick Nash- IR (Concussion)
Rangers Projected Lineup
Rangers stats Vs Anaheim (Courtesy of NHL Media)
- All-Time: 10-14-1-1 overall (6-6-1-0 at home; 4-8-0-1 on the road).
- 2013-14: Tonight is the second and final meeting this season, and the only meeting at Madison Square Garden. The Rangers are 0-1- 0 overall (0-0-0 at home; 0-1-0 on the road) this season, following a 6-0 loss on Oct. 10 at Anaheim.The Blueshirts out-shot the Ducks, 17-7, in the third period, while their penalty kill was 6-6 (100.0%) in the contest.
- Last Season: Did not play. In 2011-12, New York was 1-0-1 overall (1-0-0 at home; 0-0-1 on the road), with both contests decided in the shootout and ending in a 2-1 score. The Rangers’ penalty kill was 8-8 (100.0%) in the series. Brad Richards (goal) and Ryan McDonagh (assist) were among the point scorers for the Rangers, while Henrik Lundqvist was 1-0-1 with a 0.93 GAA and .964 Sv%.
- The Rangers have registered at least a point in eight of the last 12 contests against the Ducks (7-4-1 over the span) dating back to Nov. 19, 2002.
- New York is 2-1-0 at home; Anaheim is 6-3-1 on the road.
- New York is 1-4-0 vs. Western Conference opponents; Anaheim is 6-2-1 vs. Eastern Conference opponents.
- New York lists no former Ducks on their roster.
- Anaheim lists no former Rangers on their roster.
Pregame coverage starts at 7:00 pm on MSG, puck drops at 7:30 pm.