This morning, the New York Rangers hit the ice for their morning skate at Madison Square Garden in preparation for tonight’s bout against the rival Boston Bruins.
Whispers have circulated about the Twitter machine about forward Rick Nash making his return either tonight or Thursday. Well, it has been confirmed by team officials and coach Alain Vigneault that Nash will indeed return to the lineup tonight vs Boston.
I’ve been reading plenty of tweets suggesting that Nash should come back Thursday against the Dallas Stars because that will be a much less physical game. Well, let’s face the facts, hockey is physical, and either way Nash is going to get hit and most likely hard. He was going to play when he felt he was ready and he is playing tonight. The coaching staff can’t keep him sheltered from big and bad opponents, that just isn’t how it works.
Here is the recap from the session:
- Michael Del Zotto will be a healthy scratch for the third straight game.
- J.T. Miller is also scratched due to Nash’s return. Miller will not be sent down, he will travel with the team on their five-game road trip.
- Nash skated with Carl Hagelin and Brian Boyle for most of the skate.
- Coach Vigneault said Nash will see about 15 minutes of ice time, which includes even strength and the powerplay.
- AV also said that Nash scored better on conditioning tests this past Thursday than he did in training camp.
- AV says Nash was officially cleared on Sunday, called him yesterday and agreed it was his decision. Today, Nash said he was ready to go.
- Henrik Lundqvist was the first player off the ice, he will get the nod for tonight’s game.
Here is Vigneault’s press conference after the skate:
Don’t forget to click back here for our preview of tonight’s game!