Jim Cerny was back at it again this week taking Ranger fan questions (and ours – sure was excited to see us) in this weeks chat hosted live exclusively on Blueshirts United:
- No update on Rick Nash, sees him out for a indefinite amount of time.
- Expect to see everyone and the kitchen sink defend the Ovechkin line tonight. McDonagh and Girardi will be put back together for this momentous occasion, but Staal will more than likely also see time with Girardi.
- Jim Cerney mentioned that better execution, better effort, and better play overall is needed from the Rangers.
They need to be stiffer in their zone, even strength time, must take the body, make better smart decisions with the puck, and better yet. They need to communicate with one another better.
- It caught everyone attention on how easy the Western teams had with the Rangers. Need to find better puck possession like the had in the LA game, and at times against St. Louis to be successful.
- Thinks the morning skates were only optional due to them playing 4 games in 6 nights. Will check with AV to see if they are mandatory.
- Kreider is a viable option to return to the Rangers if adjustments need to be made after tonight’s game. Says that with Nash out, the ability of adding Kreider will add offense.
- Richards still skating with Callahan and Brassard.
- The lack of a true heavyweight is an issue, even though the team has Dorsett, they need someone to help shoulder the brunt. Jim Cerny said he can see Bickel brought up, but right now their concern is offensive help. Cerny stated he doesn’t see a trade or move happening to acquire muscle.
- Jim Cerny doesn’t see Talbot starting for awhile with how spread out games are. Can honestly see Talbot called back down to Hartford before getting called back up. Lundqvist and AV want to see Lundqvist improve get better.
- The Rangers need to stay out of the box, stay disciplined due to Capitals powerplay being very lethal. Caps are a good team, but think that tonight’s game and Saturday’s game against the Devils are very winnable.
- Jim is surprised to see Miller on the 4th line tonight, but echo’d Vigneault’s comments about some players might lose their spot on the top 6 if play doesn’t improve, and Miller can jump in there at any time. Not surprised to see Miller over Kreider, due to JT having the better camp and scoring 4 sgoals in Hartford.
- Jim Cerny stated that it has taken longer than expected for the team to adjust to AV’s style. But noted that things will improve with Hagelin and Nash hopefully getting healthy soon, and Callahan and Stepan getting their legs back things are looking up.
- He mentioned that Girardi stated that the team just needs to execute better.
- Jim Cerny stated that Hagelin has not yet been cleared for contact, but expects when he does return a top 6 position is in his future.
- Pouliot has been getting top six minutes, but with Hagelin close to returns, and stated AV without mentioning names, Pouliot and Zuccarello need to improve their play because time is running out.
- Can see Kristo getting called up at some point this year, but can see it happening sooner than later if Nash’s absence is longer and scoring still struggles.
- Avoiding penalties is the best way to kill the Capitals powerplay.
- Yes, Justin Falk is in the lineup for the sick Michael Del Zotto.
- Time will tell if Richards can keep his play up, but Jim Cerny likes what he’s seen. Also, has noticed him step up again as the leader in the room, due to his confidence coming back. But Richards, will agree consistency is key.
- Fast in lineup tonight, as they only have 12 healthy forwards.
- Jim Cerny mentioned that the Rangers scored first in San Jose, and we know how that turned out. But with the way the Rangers and Capitals have been playing, first goal is key.
- At different times, AV has mentioned how good Staal and Stralman have played, as well as Callahan and Nash. But he’s more worried about righting the ship.
- Jim Cerny sees Stepan’s line as the second, and Boyle’s line third.
Henrik Lundqvist in the net makes the Rangers one of the biggest threats to come out of the Atlantic, be sure to get your New York Rangers Tickets all season long here.