One of the things I asked all of our contributors to do was think of three predictions for the team this year. I asked them to think of something so far-fetched it sounded absolutely ridiculous. I asked them to think of something that seemed extremely plausible (a safe bet), and I also asked them to think of something that a gambler would be tempted to bet on knowing it was a long shot. Here are the responses I got from everyone. You decide which predictions fall under which category.
Our fearless leader, Andrew, says:
1.) Rick Nash will score
forty thirty goals this season
2.) Derick Brassard will notch 25 goals
3.) The Rangers will win the Cup
1) Regain the dominance at home. We are the best fans in hockey. We pack the house every night and they renovated the Garden for us. (It’s beautiful in case you haven’t been to a game yet this season, especially the new Chase Bridges). We need to be winning at home all the time. A sub .500 winning percentage will not cut it. Even slightly above won’t do. The more we hear the goal song, the better it is for everyone.
2) Win the division. Seems like we’re always looking up at those two superstars in Pittsburgh. Now we have to contend with Washington, Carolina, and Columbus, in addition to the usual suspects. While it is a tall order, it can be done. We did it two years ago. Consistently putting the puck in the net will put us in contention.
3) Have a top 5 power play. Thought I was going to go with a Stanley Cup here, didn’t you? To be honest, that is probably more likely than the Rangers having a top 5 power play. While it has shown flashes of success this year, it is still a long ways away. Perhaps the Achilles’ heel of the team since Jaromir Jagr’s departure, a top unit would pay huge dividends towards the team’s long term success. An overly successful power play combined with stellar goal tending will make opponents scared to take penalties.
Anthony tells me:
1) The NYR will finish in the top 3 of the division this year
2) The NYR will need a few changes, but will make a significant run for the cup.
3) Henrik Lundqvist will win the Vezina (even with the horrendous start) and the Conn Smythe if they win the Cup!
Matthew seems to think that:
1) Cameron Talbot finishes the season with a .910 save percentage or better.
2) Chris Kreider’s shooting percentage will rise above 11%. It’s currently at 5.9%.
3) Brad Richards scores 30 goals.
Pat seems to think that:
1) The Rangers Win the Stanley Cup
2) Rick Nash scores 50 goals or 100 points
3) the Rangers make it to the second round of the playoffs.
1) Micheal Del Zotto and J.T. Miller get traded for Yakupov
2) Rangers shut down the Penguins and the Bruins on the was to the Cup Final, then exact revenge on the Ducks to win the Cup!
3) By the second half of the season, Rangers have traded or sent down: Benoit Pouliot, Taylor Pyatt, Derick Brassard, Michael Del Zotto, and have added Danny Kristo, Oscar Lindberg, Marek Hrivik, and Dylan McIlrath as regulars.
As for me, I’m going to have a little fun with this. My predictions are these:
1) The Rangers make the playoffs
2) Ryan McDonagh is a finalist for the Norris Trophy
3) Taylor Pyatt posts 20 points on the season
Kenny was so excited for his new job that he completely forgot to predict anything so he gets no claim to fame. It’s ok, he’s got exciting wok ahead of him.
Michael was also unavailable for comment. He may have referred me to his agent, so as to hold out for a better contract. (I kid, I kid)
Enjoy and keep checking to see which predictions are correct. Feel free to share your predictions in the comments!