2 of 3
Notes on the game
- With the win, the Rangers improved to 35-15-5 and picked up a point on the Penguins who lost in overtime to the Hurricanes. The Rangers’ points percentage of .682 is sixth best in the NHL and better than all teams in the Western Conference except Colorado.
- The Rangers have gone 10-2-1 in their last 13 home games. Their 19 home wins are fourth most in the NHL.
- Over their last ten games, he Rangers have allowed more than two goals only twice.
- The Rangers’ penalty kill was excellent, stopping the Devils three times. They are now seventh best in the NHL with a 83.3% success rate. The last time a Blueshirts team was as good was in 2013-14 (85.3%)
- The Igor Shesterkin show just keeps rolling along. His 27 wins is third most in the NHL. He improved his league leading goals against average to 1.96 and his save percentage to .940 as he stopped 32 of 33 shots.
- That .940 Sv% is the second highest save percentage after 36 games in NHL history, behind only Jacques Plante’s .942 Sv% in 1970-71 with Toronto.
- Chris Kreider’s goal was his 36th of the season, one behind Auston Matthews and two behind Leon Draisaitl.
- With Kreider getting to 51 points, it gives the Rangers four players with over 50 points. Colorado leads with five 50 point players. No other team has more than three.
- While the Rangers have four players with 50 points (Panarin, Zibanejad, Fox and Kreider), it does point out how the Rangers scoring is really clustered among a handful of players, unlike other top NHL teams.
- Adam Fox added an assist, his 47th of the season, third most in the entire league. He remains third on the point scoring race among defensemen. He played 25:24, most of all the Blueshirts.
- The game winning goal was Filip Chytil’s first since November 7, 2019, something he mentioned in his post game interview.
- Morgan Barron was a late addition to the lineup with Greg McKegg out sick. He played only 6:32.
- Jonny Brodzinski played 9:28 and saw time on the penalty kill. He ended the game blocking a shot that broke the blade on his skate and he had to be helped off the ice by Zibanejad.
- Barclay Goodrow sparred with P.K. Subban several teams and had a fight when Subban went after Filip Chytil in a net front scrum. Subban was booed loudly whenever he touched the puck.
- The Rangers have won eight straight against the Devils.
- It was interesting that the MSG Network never showed highlights of Vitali Kravtsov’s two goals in 2-1 win in the KHL playoffs. They’ve never hesitated to show prospects scoring in their MSG150 segment, but the Kravtsov goals didn’t make the cut though video was available. Hmmm.