2 of 3
Notes on the game
- The Rangers moved into second place in the Metropolitan Division with 77 points, same as Pittsburgh, but are ahead of them due to a higher points percentage (.688 to .675).
- The Rangers have won three in a row and eight of their last 11. They’ve allowed only 23 goals in the last 12 games. That’s pretty good defense.
- They moved into second place in the NHL, allowing only 2.45 goals per game and they are closing in on the Carolina Hurricanes who have allowed 2.39.
- The Rangers are headed for a 112 points season and that would tie them for the second most in franchise history, only one behind the 113 point 2014-15 team.
- Artemi Panarin added two assists and now has 61 points, 14th in the league and his 46 assists are sixth most.
- Adam Fox had one assist to add to his lead over all NHL defenseman with 48. He is five points behind leader Cale Makar. An interesting stat regarding Fox is that of the top 20 scoring defenseman who have appeared in 50 games, he is the only one who has been credited with fewer than 100 shots.
- This was the third time this season that they have had to kill six penalties and the first time in the three games that they allowed a goal.
- The penalty kill, successful 83.3% of the time, is seventh best in the NHL. They have killed 25 of the last 28 penalties.
- The Rangers had only two power plays, the ninth game in a row that they have three or less. They’ve scored two power play goals in their last six games, going 2-14.
- The Rangers went with 11 forwards and seven defenseman with Libor Hajek seeing his first action since February 1. He played 7:52 and looked fine.
- Ryan Strome was the center double shifted the most and ended up leading all forwards with 22:03 of ice time.
- After the Rangers won nine of the first 10 faceoffs, they proceed to lose 24 of the next 31 draws and finished winning only 38%. Every Rangers center lost more than they won.
- This was the 11th time Igor Shesterkin has faced over 40 shots in his career. He has won all 11 games. The 46 shots were the second highest total shots he has faced.