My 3 Rangers stars
- Chris Kreider gets the first star for scoring the Rangers only goal and playing a solid, physical game. He led the team with five shots on goal and was robbed by Sorokin at least twice.
- Igor Shesterkin played well enough to win and lost on an unfortunate bounce of an offspeed, fluttering shot. He had no chance on the Anders Lee power play goal.
- Any number of Rangers could qualify for the third star, but we’ll give it to Filip Chytil who played another solid game. He was 3-0 on faceoffs and is showing more determination on the boards and on rushes. If he keeps this up, and that’s a big if, he could be turning a corner.
The official 3 stars
- Ilya Sorokin – Islanders
- Kyle Palmieri – Islanders
- Igor Shesterkin – Rangers
From the frying pan into the fire. The Rangers head to Tampa to take on the Lightning who are in a dogfight for first place in the Atlantic Division. They will looking to prevent a sweep of the three game series by the Rangers. In the second of back-to-back games, they then take on the Carolina Hurricanes in Raleigh on Sunday night. Carolina has lost only four games in regulation at home this season and spanked the Rangers in the Blueshirts’ last trip to North Carolina, 6-3 in late January.
The Capitals play in Carolina on Friday night and host Dallas on Sunday so they have a tough schedule as well. The Penguins take on the Coyotes on the road in their only game this weekend.
The trade deadline is 3pm on Monday. Let’s see what Chris Drury can pull out of his hat.