3 of 4
Notes on the game
- With the win, the Rangers kept pace with the Penguins who have 90 points to 89 for the Blueshirts. The Rangers have a better points percentage since they have played one fewer game. They remain five points ahead of fourth place Washington with a game in hand.
- The Rangers 89 points are fifth most in the NHL. It’s their most points in a season since 2016-17. They did in 66 games with only six teams in franchise history doing it faster.
- The Rangers swept the three game series with Buffalo and improved their record against the Atlantic Division to 16-2-1, getting 33 of a possible 38 points. They join the Panthers as the only teams with 16 wins against one division, though they have gotten their 16 wins in 19 games while it has taken Florida 22 games to get to their 16 wins against the Metropolitan Division.
- This was yet another come from behind win for the Rangers, their 22nd of the year. the most in the NHL.
- Their record when going into the third period tied is 15-3-1. Their record on Saturdays and Sundays is 18-4-0
- The overtime win improved their record to 3-3 in games decided in overtime. Another six have gone to a shootout with the Rangers winning four of those games.
- The overtime goal by K’Andre Miller was his second game winning goal of the season.
- Alexis Lafrenière extended his point scoring streak to six games with a goal and an assist. He now has 15 goals and 25 points on the season and his career 26 goals are tied with Tim Stutzle of the Senators for the most goals by any player drafted in 2020.
- Artemi Panarin scored his 17th goal of the season and only his second goal in his last 12 games. He needs to shoot more.
- The new acquisitions continue to pay off. Frank Vatrano has four goals in six games. Andrew Copp has one goal and four assists in three games.
- Alexandar Georgiev improved his record to 10-9-2 stopping 13 of 17 shots. He had no chance on two of the goals, was screened on a third and should have had the Okposo second period score.
- Ryan Strome missed the last two periods with a lower body injury. After the Gallant seemed to indicate it wasn’t serious.
- The Rangers are not drawing enough penalties. They’ve had only one power play in each of the last three games and the one penalty in this game was a bench minor. With the second best power play in the NHL, not going to the net and forcing other teams to take penalties is keeping the team’s best weapon out of games.
- It was “Adam Fox Spotlight” night on the MSG Network and we were fed more information we knew about Adam Fox all evening. The worst element was a “spotlight” camera on Fox, an absolute waste of time. We were treated to hm going to the bench and sitting down several times along with several shots of him skating by himself in the defensive zone. Considering that it reduced the size of the shot showing the actual action by almost half, it was an ill advised attempt at innovation that rivaled the worst efforts from ESPN and TNT. Our suggestion is use an iso camera on Fox, but then show us how he played after the action, not during it.