3 of 4
Notes on the game
- The win gives the Rangers 102 points and they pulled within two points of the idle Hurricanes who have a game in hand. They opened up a seven point lead over the Penguins and 10 points over Capitals The Rangers magic number to clinch second place is eight points with the Rangers holding the tiebreaker over Pittsburgh and Washington.
- This gives the Rangers a road record of 24-13-2, the most road wins since 2016-17. Their 50 road points are the fifth most in franchise history. The 24 wins are fourth most.
- With 102 points, that puts this team in seventh place most points in a season along with the 1972-73 and 2016-17 teams. The next target is 105 points, achieved by the 1991-92 Presidents’ Trophy winning team.
- The Rangers are 8-4-1 in the second game of back-to-back games. They have won four of those games on the road.
- The Rangers won three of four from the Flyers with the only loss in a shootout. This was the first time 2011-12 that the Rangers have not lost a game in regulation to the Flyers in their season series.
- Alexandar Georgiev notched his sixth straight win and his second shutout this season. He stopped all 28 Flyers shots he faced. It was the third time he has shut out the Flyers, more than any other team he has played against. It was his eighth career shutout. He lowered his goals against average to 2.91 (31st overall) and his save percentage is now .898 (48th overall).
- Kaapo Kakko notched his sixth two-goal game of his career. He has never had a hat trick. In 40 games this season he has seven goals and 16 points.
- Artemi Panarin scored his 22nd goal of the season and he now has 89 points. He needs 11 points in his last eight games to get to 100 for the first time in his career.
- Barclay Goodrow had two assists and now has 13 goals and 28 points for the season. He already achieved a career high in goals, and the 28 points are a new personal best.
- The power play failed to score for the fourth straight game and they have only two goals in their last 19 times with the man advantage. The Rangers have had four five-on-three power plays this season and have yet to score. This was the longest one at 1:55 with the prior two man advantages lasting 1:22, 35 seconds and only one second.
- As ice cold as the power play is, the penalty kill is red hot. They have gone seven games without allowing a power play goal, going 18 for 18.
- One note of trivia. There have been only two NHL players named Felix in the history fo the league. Felix Sandstrom played his second game against the Rangers. The only other Felix was goalie Felix Potvin who played for five teams over 20 years ago. So, it appears you have to be a goalie if you are named Felix.
- We’ve been pretty nasty in our comments about the national telecasts. To be honest, this one was okay. Kenny Albert is always a good option and Flyer home Keith Jones didn’t have much to say about the Flyers since they were so bad. The intermission content was pretty innocuous.