3 of 4
Notes on the game
- The Rangers won their 50th game, only the fifth team in franchise history to do that and the first since 2014-15. With five games left, the Rangers have a chance to equal the franchise record of 53 wins, set in 2015.
- Gerard Gallant has something in common with Mike Keenan. They are the only Rangers coaches to win 50 games in ther first season as coach. He and Keenan are the only coaches to win 50 games in their first season as coach with two different teams. Gallant did it with Vegas and Keenan with the Flyers.
- The Rangers are tied with the Hurricanes for first place, though Carolina owns the ROW tiebreaker They moved nine points head of the Penguins. Their magic number to clinch second place is two points over Washington and one point over Pittsburgh.
- The 106 points for the Rangers is the sixth most in franchise history. Their points percentage of .688 is fourth best in team history.
- The last time the Rangers had three shutouts in a row was February 1973 when Ed Giacomin and Gilles Villemure did it. The team has had three shutouts in a row four times before tonight. The 1927-28 Rangers posted four straight shutouts.
- The Ranger penalty kill stopped the only Jets power play and have now stopped 20 in a row and have not allowed a power play goal in nine straight games.
- The power play is showing signs of life going 1-2 and they have now scored in two straight games, going 2-6. They are fifth in the NHL at 25.7%.
- Ryan Strome’s two goals gave him 19 on the season, tying his career high set in 2018-19. It was his fifth game winning goal of the season, second most on the team.
- Artemi Panarin had his 19th multi-assist game of the season, setting a new team record. He had been tied with Brian Leetch, Jean Ratelle and Mark Messier with 18.
- Panarin how has 92 points, three away from his career high of 95. He needs eight points in five games to get to 100 points for the first time. He is ninth in scoring in the NHL.
- Panarin has 70 assists, tied with Johnny Gaudreau for second most in the NHL. It’s the seventh time a Ranger has reached 70 assists in a season with it achieved only by Brian Leetch, Mark Messier, Sergei Zubov and Wayne Gretzky. It’s the most since Gretzky had 72 assists in 1996-97.
- Mika Zibanejad got his 50th assist, the first time he reach that mark.
- Adam Fox scored his 11th goal, giving him 69 points, fourth most among defensemen. It’s the most points for a Rangers defenseman since Brian Leetch had 79 points in 2000-01.
- Andrew Copp added two assists against his former team and he now has five goals and 15 points in 14 games as a Ranger.
- Igor Shesterkin registered two consecutive shutouts last season against the New Jersey Devils. His streak this season has reached 133:18. His personal best is 152:37, set last season. Lorne Chabot holds the franchise record of 297:43 minutes set in 1927-28.
- With six shutouts, it’s the most in a season for a Ranger netminder since Henrik Lundqvist had eight shutouts in 2011-12. Lundqvist, Ed Giacomin and Shesterkin are the only Ranger goalies to get six shutouts in a season in the expansion era.