4 of 4
Of no special significance, here are some other numbers from this half-season:
- The Rangers are 4-4-2 in nationally televised games. Last season they were 12-5-1.
- The Rangers are 1-2-1 in day games. Last season they were 6-2-0.
- The Blueshirts have pulled their goalie 10 times this season and have not scored a goal yet. They have allowed five empty net goals. Last season they were able to score four times with the goalie pulled (but didn’t win any of those games).
- The opposing team has pulled their goalie 15 times and has scored twice resulting in one overtime loss. The Rangers have netted eight empty net goals. Last season, opposing teams scored four times after pulling their goalie in 35 games, resulting in one regulation loss for New York.
- The Rangers have totaled ten shots or more in all three periods nine times this season. They have failed to get 10 shots on goal in any period only once this season.
- The Rangers’ record in extra time is 3-7, winning twice in overtime and once in the shootout. Last season they were 8-6, winning four times in overtime and four times in a shootout. Last year’s points percentage was .786 compared to this year at .650. The seven potential points that they have lost in extra time could come back to haunt them. Win four of those games and they would be two points out of first place.
- The Rangers have had 11 fighting major penalties this season, compared to 18 total last season. Barclay Goodrow leads with four. The team has yet to take a misconduct or a five-minute major penalty this season. Last season the team had four misconducts and one five-minute major penalty.
- The Rangers have taken 51 minor penalties this season, the 10th most in the NHL, but due to the lack of major penalties, their 325 penalty minutes is the 26th most in the league.
- When the Rangers have a two-man advantage, they have scored twice in five tries. It’s important to note that two of them when they didn’t score were 11 seconds or shorter.
- When the Rangers are down two men, they have surrendered four goals on six penalty kills. They have a nasty tendency to be down two men for extended periods with all six at least over a minute long.
- When it comes to dumb penalties, the Rangers have taken seven, three for shooting the puck into the stands and four for too many men on the ice. They have killed six of those seven penalties. Last season, they were 10 for 10 killing those kinds of penalties.